Welcome to MissouriBendStudio!

This is an online journal of my artistic investigations and a way to communicate about my work, ideas, quandries and queries! I welcome comments and conversation and do hope you enjoy these musings. My artwork is available in my shop MissouriBendStudio on Etsy.com or on my website.

Translate

Monday, March 21, 2011

The New Addition to the Studio

Well, without further ado, let me introduce you to the newcomer in the studio...the new Husqvarna sewing machine, which I just got in Sioux Falls today.  As you see, it's still sitting in the box on the table...I'm waiting for John to get home, so we can unpack it together and give her a proper welcome.
Obviously I must also get rid of the clutter on the desk...those are hoops that were part of a series, which I will eventually get posted in the shop, but for now they must just get back up on the wall where they belong.  We have a Husqvarna riding mower, which we call Husky (we tend to name everything...cars, mowers, some of the plants, etc.) but clearly I'm not going to call her Husky...besides there could be some confusion.  I'm sure she'll (and I am pretty certain this is a "she", while the mower is clearly a "he") tell me her name in due time.  I'm smiling, but I'm not sure I look quite as gleeful as that lady on the box!


While I was taking a shot of the new sewing machine, I took a quick shot of the tables in the new studio set-up...all lined up in a row under the window.  The one on the right is totally filled with the artwork for sale from my shop (before the work was occupying all sorts of surfaces in the studio) and the desk in the middle is now my only real work area, whereas before I had two.  There is a third table, which you can see on the left, which is housing work in progress, trays of parts, fragments, etc. that I can use for inspiration and collage.  The sitting chairs and the combo coffee table/flat file is on the opposite wall, so you can see out the windows from there.  Seems like it's going to work out nicely.

So, here's what I've been thinking lately....and maybe some of you who know me by now, won't be surprised.  Something's got to give...I'm trying to do too much and I have to admit, it's more than I can handle, especially now that I have to learn how to operate a sewing machine from scratch....and eventually use it to help me make art!  John and I have both been trying to learn to play the banjo for the last year or more and having been so busy this winter, I've all but given that up, which I never intended to happen.  So, I decided that I'm going to have to let go of A Walk Through The Universe feature altogether...at least for now.  And I'm going to do the Made By Hand feature as I have people send things to me.  That feature doesn't require a lot of my time, but A Walk Through The Universe takes enough time, that having it back would make a difference.  I mean, here it is Monday evening and I haven't had time to do anything about tomorrow's post....it's always a scramble to get it together.  I enjoy everything I'm doing with the blog and I hope my readers do too, but I have to get my priorities realigned.  I hope that you're with me in thinking that my direct communication with you about what is happening in the studio should remain the central focus of the blog.  So, there are invitations out there for people to be part of the Made By Hand feature and as I receive them I'll continue to post them in the middle of the week, but other than that, I'll do my usual post on Monday and Friday.  Rats...I hate to cut things short, but there are only so many hours in the day and gardening season hasn't even hit yet!  Last summer I barely did anything outside and I'm determined it won't be that way this year!  So, hope you're still with me because you all mean so much and the connections and friendships across the planet are very important.  Thanks so much for your support and I'll see you on Friday, unless I have a surprise post for the Made By Hand feature, which could happen anytime! I'll continue to solicit new folks for that feature also, as time permits.

Oh....I forgot to show you this last Friday...Page from the Book of Stolen Moments!


And I had a great time at the Jackson Street Bookstore on Saturday!  I talk big, like I ws going to spend hours there, but it's like having your eyes bigger than your stomach...you get full too soon when eating a wonderful meal...I lasted an hour and a half before I figured I'd better get out of there before I got dizzy from looking at so much and before the choices became too painful...as it was I spent almost $50, which was pretty good considering what I had stacked up in my pile of possibilities!  

Happy Spring!!  Have a great week!

10 comments:

  1. I hope you and your new machine become fast friends. Perhaps your smiling face will grace the box of the next model of the machine.

    As long as you keep blogging and showing us your work and your world, your readers will be happy. And if playing that banjo makes you happy, do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patti, I think it's a wise woman who knows when to say "enough!" and make the hard choices about what to let go and what to keep, in order not only to preserve physical and mental well-being, but also, to be able to give as much to the things that are most important as they deserve and require to reach their full potential. I myself feel a bit overwhelmed lately, as if I need to be two or three people to get it all done. Some things simply must be set aside or I will begin and end every day feeling as if I've fallen short. It's my experience that when attempting to simplify or cut back, the priorities tend to announce themselves and make the selection process a little easier! Brava to you for taking care of yourself! Not to worry about losing your followers if you don't post every day. From what I am hearing in Blogland, everybody is having trouble keeping up! All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim...thanks so much! I hope the new machine and I become fast friends...and that she is as patient with me as I am with her! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gabriella....how is we manage juggling so many things as we do. And that feeling that you described precisely of beginning and ending each day, feeling as if you've fallen short. I hadn't thought of it quite that way, but it is exactly what I feel. Allowing oneself a little downtime shouldn't feel like a crime...I must get retrained! Thanks so much for your support and hope you are taking care of your priorities too! Brava to you too dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We can't manage time - it is what it is and unfortunately doesn't expand to fit in all we want to do. We can manage our choices though, and no one is going to abandon reading your lovely blog and enjoying seeing your work because you aren't posting on Mondays anymore! This blogging business is so time consuming and it's all time that could be spent making art or learning how to use your sewing machine.
    Keep up the good work, it's always an inspiration to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie...that's a really nice distinction you've made....it's not time that we manage, but our choices. Thank you so much for your kind words and hearty support!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Patti I am behind you 100%! I have sometimes wondered if I should say you do so much I don't feel as if I can do justice to it all as a reader and follower. I am so happy we get to keep connecting with you and the studio work and the intermittent hand of the maker. Just perfect for me. (I am learning about letting go only having random phone- based Internet access!) go well, enjoy and celebrate the liberation of your choices F

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the sewing machine. Its so much better to be busy than be bored. I hope you always have plenty of energy to do the things you want to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fiona....thanks for being such a faithful fan and follower. I think we're all overwhelmed and the interwebby thing (your phrase I believe) requires more and more time! Choices, choices....here's to the contemplative life full of art!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your good wishes for my new adventure with the sewing machine...should open up new possibilities. I can't imagine being bored...on the contrary wishing for more time to explore all the things I'm interested in! Cheers and thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you...comments and questions are welcome!