Welcome to MissouriBendStudio!

This is an online journal of my artistic investigations and a way to communicate about my work, ideas, quandries and queries! I welcome comments and conversation and do hope you enjoy these musings. My artwork is available in my shop MissouriBendStudio on Etsy.com or on my website.

Translate

Monday, October 12, 2015

So Many Books, So Little Time

I know there are other things I should be reading related to school, but can't help squeezing in time for some other finds. Here are the latest items in my reading repertoire!


I  just finished this delightful book by a wonderful author from here in the midwest, John T. Price. Daddy Long Legs: The Natural Education of a Father, is another excellent memoir from this author, that combines humor, with a strong connection to place and the poignancy of everyday life. There are definitely laugh-out-loud moments, even when you are all alone in the house and with no one to share the humor!

In my ongoing effort to connect my interests in food, in the land and to the place where I find myself (rural South Dakota), I have been delving into ever more serious topics. I have to say that if you haven't seen the film, Food Inc., well it will give you some things to think about and may very well change the way you view the simplest act of going to the grocery store. Since seeing that, I've been broadening my horizons and now have checked out from the library two books that have been on my one-of-these-days reading list: This Changes Everything by Naomi Klein and The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert.



It's all a bit serious, I know, but everything I read becomes food and nourishment that ends up in my work in the studio. Along with that, I'm trying to be more proactive in life, working harder to understand what seems most perplexing and learning to make more intentional choices. I'm overwhelming myself here...I do think I might seek out a can't-put-down novel for balance (any recommendations?). Meanwhile, I must now tend to Chapters 5 and 6 in Nonprofit Leadership and Management for my class.

Happy reading...see you soon!

2 comments:

  1. Great too hear about your reading adventures. Mine are thin on the ground at the moment, but that's because my creative work is bubbling up instead - the best possible reason I reckon, but I do miss how reading fuels images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie....a creative time is definitely a good reason for putting the books down. You will find them again, I'm sure, when you need a bit of refueling! Cheers!

      Delete

I'm happy to hear from you...comments and questions are welcome!