Welcome to MissouriBendStudio!

This is an online journal of my artistic investigations and a way to communicate about my work, ideas, quandries and queries! I welcome comments and conversation and do hope you enjoy these musings. My artwork is available in my shop MissouriBendStudio on Etsy.com or on my website.

Translate

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Change Is In The Air


The weekend dailies are here and already a new week has begun. The Monday drawing on black paper is up on the board in my studio waiting for the drawings for the rest of the week to join up in turn (better get moving on Tuesday!)....but I'm feeling itchy and think it may be time to change it up again. The problem is that I'm not sure what direction these dailies will take....haven't gotten the signals loud and clear yet, just the initial rumblings of change on the way. I thought I'd give you a heads up that there may be yet another new direction.


When I first acknowledged this bit of edginess lurking in the doorway of the studio yesterday as I worked on the Monday drawing, I tried to send it away....I can't change the format now, these are part of my Etsy shop. But! I also realized in the same moment that perhaps therein lies the difference between making a product and making art. I believe that in order to be true, the work has to flow according to its own impulse and not because it is a bit of inventory or that there is an expectation that the "product" will always be the same. I already have to remind myself that the intent with this daily project was not necessarily to make "art", but to honor the day and its passing. The "art" would be a kind of result rather than the goal. Sometimes I am caught between the struggle to let them be what they want to be and my own need for structure and a rhythm which calls for the dailies to have a certain uniformity. I'm quite sure the many factions working this out in the various secret rooms of my subconscious will come to some solution that is agreeable to all and I will be excited and energized by the prospects all over again. You'll be the first to know!

Have a great week!



8 comments:

  1. Boy, do I understand! I get all weird and antsy when I can't get a quilt made because life is intervening. At those moments I'm thinking of the quilts as "products" that must be produced come hell or high water. But they ain't. They are simply the results of a practice I started and love - nothing more, nothing less, and getting all hung up on what they "should be" and when is just soooooo exhausting. And it really interferes with honoring the intent and the process of the practice. So maybe take a few days off and do something completely different? An artist date with yourself? Away from the studio? Just something that distracts you from worrying about what will or won't come next. Because wonderful things DO happen when we get out of the way and stop fretting, right?

    Hugs,
    Karen Anne (who might not make a quilt for a few days since the workman will be in my studio and my daughter and SIL are coming for the weekend!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen Anne....I knew you would understand and wondered if you go through the same thing. Allowing myself a few days off....wow, I'm not sure if the taskmaster in me would allow such a thing especially after losing a week to being sick. Hmmm, it's a good idea. I do have to get out of my own way though and not think about it. For me, nothing good comes from "thinking"...at least not consciously! Hope you have a great weekend OFF with your daughter and SIL!

      Delete
  2. I am just reading a biography of Mary Cassat and it helped remind me that all artists at all times have struggled with the art/product issues. We have to find our own balance and I wish you luck with yours, but also remember that we are not alone. Best,
    Annamaria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annamaria....I bet reading about Mary Cassat would be interesting. It is always wonderful to know there is an ever-widening circle of like minded souls who struggle with the same issues....great we can encourage and help one another, even once we've passed away! Thanks!!

      Delete
  3. I relate! I can already see the change and I love it!xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's a never ending problem for those of us who work with our hands and hearts. For that reason alone I have taken a year off of shows and its been so 'freeing' -- just thinking, designing, wondering, making all at my own pace to only please me - me -me! If at some point these pieces go to others it won't because I planned it that way but because that was their destiny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penny, there was a time when I was just making work for myself and I have to remind myself that ultimately that's when the best work gets made....the sharing with the world in various ways comes later. I used to say that I'd keep making art even if no one saw the work, because in a way it was a conversation with myself. That is still true, but in the 21st century, it's all a bit more complicated! Good for you for taking a year off....sounds as if it's been a fruitful one for you! Thanks for your message!

      Delete

I'm happy to hear from you...comments and questions are welcome!