Welcome to MissouriBendStudio!

This is an online journal of my artistic investigations and a way to communicate about my work, ideas, quandries and queries! I welcome comments and conversation and do hope you enjoy these musings. My artwork is available in my shop MissouriBendStudio on Etsy.com or on my website.

Translate

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Notes From The Field



Mid-week greetings. Meet some of my studio mates! These little guys hang out on my desk and watch my every move. I can't say why I love them so, but I do. I'm not sure where they even came from, but there they are, constant companions as I work. For this portrait, I actually moved them, along with their favorite rocks to a bit of open space on a shelf. My studio is filled with such tiny objects collected over the years, the origins of which I can often barely recall. Yet, all of it is part of my daily landscape, the material world I wrap around myself like a cloak. 

Along with all of my reluctance to let go of these bits--the ephemera, the memories kept visible, the stories told in objects, the dailiness of it all--is an equally strong desire for a studio space of crisp white walls, empty save for a single white table and chair, windows filling the room with the changing light according to day and season, from stormy and brooding to sunny and carefree. There are those days when I appear to work in the studio gazed upon by the plastic sheep and the clutter, but am really inhabiting the spare and elegant room of my mind....the one filled with space and light and nothingness.




6 comments:

  1. I too, love little lambs. And a Shepherd. Quite a spiritual picture for me. Enjoy following you work and blog:) Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura....glad you enjoyed the photo, my work and this blog!

      Delete
  2. Duality is our birthright as Sagittarians. I will never think of it as anything but a blessing to be comfortable and inspired in alternate, even opposite conditions, from the cluttered to the pristine. You've captured that so well. Also, the ability of the artist to create any landscape they require by simply looking within. Thanks for a much needed reminder today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G, I wasn't aware of that true duality in the Sagittarian....maybe I'll quite beating myself up over the parts of me that can't make up their minds, so to speak. The looking within bit....well, you'd think I'd have that lesson down pat by now, but I still stray and have to be brought back to my senses!

      Delete

I'm happy to hear from you...comments and questions are welcome!