Welcome to MissouriBendStudio!

This is an online journal of my artistic investigations and a way to communicate about my work, ideas, quandries and queries! I welcome comments and conversation and do hope you enjoy these musings. My artwork is available in my shop MissouriBendStudio on Etsy.com or on my website.

Translate

Monday, February 13, 2012

Inner Worlds



I have kind of missed the snow this winter....finally we are getting a winter wonderland.  A few inches fell overnight and a light, sometimes imperceptible, snow has been falling most of the day...beautiful, especially over the river!

I've been thinking about my daily drawings and how to describe what I am learning from them.  For some, the format, not to mention the structure of the practice itself, can seem very limiting, I realize.  But for me, giving a framework to something somehow seems to allow the possibilities to expand. I don't know what will happen on that tiny teabag when I sit down in the morning, but each day small worlds open up....there is always quiet as I arrange the table with a vase or a bottle, sometimes erasing and placing it here then there....as if I've come upon the scene and have moved the objects from the location where they lived moments before in someone else's life or someone else's dream.  I think there are infinite possibilities available from the view of any window.....these small, fragile teabags become windows for me and I draw just enough to make visible the quiet of an inner world.




I hope you are enjoy the start of a new week and that the days will unfold in delightful and surprising ways.  Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. The middle one is exquisite! My favourite ... a visual haiku.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn....thank you....I'm very honored you would think of these pieces in terms of haiku!!!

      Delete
  2. I love that you are finding the disciple to do this. I love how something structured like this can be such a freeing experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelcey....yes, there is always a certain amount of freedom with restrictions....too much freedom can be paralyzing. Remember....we don't have kids....I can imagine your day is one that won't allow for a kind of steady daily discipline, although it might be worth the attempt, even if you don't succeed each day!

      Delete
  3. I love these wee meditations Patti and am in awe of your practice. I think it must be great to have the regularity and I daresay if i sat still long enough to try and create a routine I would attempt something like your daily drawings and these. I love that you have shared your process and its great to know of it. My chaotic approach seems to be my main one for now... I love those two photos of the light and the snow and the landscape disappearing....its nice to have the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fiona....everyone evolves their own process....yours is working quite well for you, I must say! I am so pleased that you like these daily meditations though. As far those little snowy landscape shots...yes, very refreshing to see the snow coming down....it's been a very rare visitor this season. When the bluffs across the river (which is actually Nebraska, another state!) disappear from view, as they often do in inclement weather, we nonchalantly like to say, "oh well, there goes Nebraska"....of course, we're always happy to see it all come back into view when the weather clears. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are incredible, so small and detailed.

    A drawing a day, how good is that....

    xt

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of these pieces being windows - and that whatever is contained in the frame is just a glimpse into a whole world of possibility, and yet perfectly sufficient unto itself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Gabriella...each day provides a new glimpse through the window....looking in and looking out!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you...comments and questions are welcome!