Welcome to MissouriBendStudio!

This is an online journal of my artistic investigations and a way to communicate about my work, ideas, quandries and queries! I welcome comments and conversation and do hope you enjoy these musings. My artwork is available in my shop MissouriBendStudio on Etsy.com or on my website.

Translate

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Commonplace Book

I checked out a great book on the four season from the library where I work....A Time For Every Purpose: The Four Seasons in American Culture by Michael Kammen (Univ. of North Carolina Press, 2004)...it's exactly what I've been looking for as a way to gain a wider context for my recent musings about the seasons and our collective connection to time and place.  As I jotted down a quote I was reminded of my practice a few years ago of keeping a commonplace book, which is a sort of a running journal or collection of quotations and passages from books, readings, etc.   This was common practice many centuries ago--it suits my need for making documentation! Here's a portion of a quote I'll share with you from the prologue:

"Consequently, we will be tracing, among other things, not only the persistence of nostalgia but a profound nostalgia for persistence.  In an unpredictable, disorderly world of flux, the seasonal cycle offers reassurance that at least some fundamentals in this life are eternal."....Michael Kammen, A Time for Every Purpose: The Four Seasons in American Culture.

Precisely!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you...comments and questions are welcome!