Welcome to MissouriBendStudio!

This is an online journal of my artistic investigations and a way to communicate about my work, ideas, quandries and queries! I welcome comments and conversation and do hope you enjoy these musings. My artwork is available in my shop MissouriBendStudio on Etsy.com or on my website.

Translate

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Made By Hand: Brian Sylvester



"The grand book of the universe... was written in the language of mathematics, and its characters are triangles, circles, and other geometrical figures, without which it is impossible to understand a single word of it."



Galileo Galilei (1623)

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands but seeing with new eyes."



Marcel Proust (1871 - 1922)


Artist's Statement:



I started painting fifteen years ago, but not until I was laid off in 2008 did I have the opportunity to re-evaluate and make the decision to become a working artist, which I believe includes a commitment both to remain experimental and open in my own process, and to reach out through my work to help local businesses and art venues.
My 15 years working in floriculture are one of the many influences of my current work, in which I am exploring the way that abstract forms and bold colors can carry deep and complex meaning in our lives, be they the decorative and architectural elements in the structures we create around us, such as portals, gates and facades in tile, brick and iron, or the spiritual imagery of devotional mandalas that seem to combine the geometry of both the natural and spiritual world. I'm finding that there is indeed a universal place where art and science, the sacred and the mundane can meet, in certain forms and colors that seem to appeal to us unconsciously on a variety of levels, and hope to take this exploration further.






2 comments:

  1. Such fine work by Brian and I loved reading about how he thinks about his work - the floral pattern connections. Its nice to know that sometimes, the shock and concerns about losing a job can allow creativity to flourish - and it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiona...I was fascinated also by the statement and the connection between the floral pattern, architecture, geometry, the spiritual, etc.
    Thanks for your comment! These pieces are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you...comments and questions are welcome!