Welcome to MissouriBendStudio!

This is an online journal of my artistic investigations and a way to communicate about my work, ideas, quandries and queries! I welcome comments and conversation and do hope you enjoy these musings. My artwork is available in my shop MissouriBendStudio on Etsy.com or on my website.

Translate

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Word Of The Week: "B"

Word of the week...going through the dictionary in alphabetical order, we're looking at a random sampling of words in the dictionary...



to see where it takes us. This week I landed on Blackwell hitch and read the definition, then flipped to the illustration found under the entry for knots. Curious about the origin of the name, I found myself at the Blackwall ship yards in London! Known as Blackwall Yard, it was engaged in ship building and later ship repairs there on Thames for 350 years, finally closing in 1987. Opening in 1617, it was built by the Honorable East India Company after they had outgrown their previous site at Deptford. Interesting information about its long history in this article from Wikipedia, which can be found here...check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you...comments and questions are welcome!