Welcome to MissouriBendStudio!

This is an online journal of my artistic investigations and a way to communicate about my work, ideas, quandries and queries! I welcome comments and conversation and do hope you enjoy these musings. My artwork is available in my shop MissouriBendStudio on Etsy.com or on my website.

Translate

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Made By Hand: Barry Smith



One of my favorite sayings is by Lewis Carroll: “If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.” I think it applies to so many situations in life. I guess it indicates that I am the sort of person who usually wants to have a bit of a plan and purpose in most things I do rather than just try things and see where they go. Yet at the same time other favorite concepts that I try to incorporate into my life are: be mindful, be in the moment and find balance. 

So when it comes to my art I guess, consciously or unconsciously, those four concepts merge to influence what I do.   I mostly start with a product in mind (knowing where I’m going). I don’t often sketch the piece but I have an image in my mind’s eye. I generally find myself creating pieces that have or carry meaning; or attempt to embed energy or messages as I create (mindful). I try not to be rigid in how the piece will end up - if along the way I see a direction I can take or an element that I can add; or I had have discussed options with Fiona about where I might be taking the work I often let that new element in (in the moment). So the final piece often has many of the characteristics of what I envisaged but also those that came with the flow (balance). 

The above probably indicates I am both a hands and head artist. I love the physical aspects of my making - beating, attaching, polishing etc; but I like my work to have the potential not only portray some aspect of beauty but also offer the opportunity for deeper meaning and messages.










6 comments:

  1. I have been lucky to have a Barry Smith hammered peace bowl- he does lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see artists at work and when I know and like the artist it makes it even more interesting. I love seeing the surrounding countryside in the last photo. What a wonderful view!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, you are most fortunate! Barry's work is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robyn, I love that shot of the piece against the landscape too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely feature on Barry and his work, Patti! I love the pictured piece - when he first showed it on his blog I was amazed at how small it was - it has such a monumental feel to it! Many thanks and best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to what you do with the envelopes. Thanks for your comment. Yes, this is a lovely little sculpture.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you...comments and questions are welcome!